Forum

Maiden Name of Cecilia/Cecelia/Celia/Doherty February 18, 2015 10:06 PM

By : Jerry

I am trying to find out more about my grandmother, Celia Doherty, (aka Cecilia and Cecelia), but I cannot even find her maiden name.

Her husband (and my grandfather), Daniel Doherty, was born in Carndonagh, Ireland on April 24, 1859, and emigrated to the US in 1879.  He appears in the 1880 US Census as living in Boston.  Eventually he moved to San Francisco, where he fathered 6 children by his wife, whose first name appears in various records as Celia, Cecilia and Cecelia.  Daniel died in San Francisco on Sept 23, 1923.

According to US Census records (1900 and 1910), which show only her married name, Doherty, Celia was born in Ireland in 1861 and emigrated to the US in 1881.  Death and cemetary records show she died in San Francisco in 1910 (at age 49).  We know she had 6 children who lived to adulthood (1887 through 1896).  Family scuttlebut (which is not terribly reliable) has it that she was born in or very near Carndonagh, and knew Daniel growing up.  In all probability, between 1881 and 1886, they married and moved to San Francisco, but I can find no record of the marriage, which certainly would show her maiden name.  (Most official records, includingI marriage records, were destroyed in the earthquake and fire of 1906.)

If only I could discover the maiden name of Celia/Cecilia/Cecelia, I could discover a lot more info.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Jerry Doherty - jjd777.jerry@gmail.com.

To post a comment please register or sign in